It is the aim of the Business PACT to:
- Reduce and prevent criminality and anti-social behaviour by reducing the opportunity to commit crime in the Vale of Glamorgan.
- Assist in the apprehension and prosecution of offenders and suspected offenders.
- Exclude persistent criminals, troublemakers and thieves from members’ premises.
- Share information and photographs with members reference persistent criminals, troublemakers and thieves.
- Reduce the fear of crime and the effects of the fear of crime.
- Reduce members’ losses caused by crime and anti-social behaviour.
- Create a “safe and secure” environment for customers, staff and visitors and to contribute to the economic viability and prosperity of the Vale of Glamorgan.
- Expand the partnership to encompass a wide a range of business sectors as possible.
- Strengthen partnership working with the business community, police, local authority and other key agencies and organisations.
What is Involved:
- CCTV – coverage of business areas (where available) in the Barry area.
- Radio Link System – linking in with businesses, CCTV, Police and Visible Services. This allows regular communication to flow. Radios contain a panic alarm button feature.
- Photograph and information sharing on offenders who commit business crime offences and act in an anti-social manner. Businesses are required to receive training in the 1998 Data Protection Act and sign data integrity forms before information is released.
- PACT Incident Report Forms – members complete these every time they have an incident at their premises. By reporting incidents to the partnership it allows other members to become aware of offenders active in the area. The forms are put before the committee to decide on the course of action to take, be that a Warning Notice or Exclusion Notice.
- Warning Notices – are issued for less serious offences. If an offender continues to act inappropriately after receipt of the Notice then they will be excluded.
- Exclusion Notices – the Exclusion Notice scheme is supported by the Police and is a civil agreement made between the members of the Business PACT Partnership. It is a process that involves excluding offenders or troublemakers from all members’ premises. Members are expected to exclude offenders who may not have necessarily committed an offence in their premises, but have committed an offence in that of another member. The simple message is “banned from one, banned from all”.
- Anti-social Behaviour Orders – ASBO referrals are submitted to the Anti-Social Behaviour Unit to take action against offenders who act in an anti-social manner in business areas.
- Spittle Kits – allows members to take a DNA spit sample should they encounter a spitting incident at their premises. Training and kits provided.